11 September, 2006

Of Os


On Tuesday of the week past, we at the TFA enjoyed a visit from Dr. Os Guinness. Some of you are excited to hear this, others are wondering who Os is. Well, Os is a remarkable man: he has a PhD in the social sciences from Oxford, he has authored more than 20 books--most of which are centered around astute cultural analysis-- he is a wonderful and warm speaker and conversationalist, and his family is the namesake of the Guinness brewery. So I had plenty of reasons to be excited about Os's visit, but it turned out to be even better than I anticipated.

Os set up his talk by putting into perspective the uniqueness of our present age in the context of human history. He listed many factors that make our period of time unprecedented, but the foremost was this: we in the West have greater choice than any human society before us has ever possessed. What does this mean? Throughout most of human history, people's lives were mostly determined by circumstances beyond their control. Where you would live, what you would believe, and whom you would marry were largely determined by where you were born.

But in the wealthy consumer culture of the modern West, we have unprecedented self-determination. Those lifestyle choices that used to be determined by birthplace are now matters of individual preference. Do you want to live in Haiti? Then move there. Do you want to be a Buddhist? Read the “How to become a Buddhist” guide on Wikihow, and go for it. Even our sex can be changed if we have the money for surgery. We have the money and technology to remake ourselves into virtually anyone we want, and our culture does not give us any clear directions on what we should do with that freedom.

Rather than liberating, though, the result of this freedom tends to be confusion and identity crisis. My generation, my peers—we do not know who we are, and we have a very difficult time determining who to be. As Joni Mitchell says, there is a level of “crazy you get with too much choice.” And I think Os and Joni are right about this. Nietzsche spoke of the power to self-create as the ultimate freedom; but what I see in my own life and the lives of my peers is that this “freedom” tends to act more like a cage than a liberator. For two reasons: 1) there are no agreed-upon answers to the questions of identity. Who should you be? No one can say, so you are left alone in a noisy universe to decide who to be, and 2) even with all this power to be self-determining, we are still unable to change a lot of things about ourselves that we would like to make different—our fears, longings, weaknesses and needs.

What will help us in this situation, this identity confusion my peers and I were born into? Well, Os’s response is one word, but it is not simple. His answer is Calling. Even as I type this, though, I know it sounds trite. "Calling, what's that?" It looks like some Christian-ese word loaded with connotations that are apparent to no one save a select few. Well, it is a kind of squishy concept in some ways. But I think it is worth your time and mine to try to make sense of it. I hope I can unpack the set of concepts in that loaded word over the rest of this entry and the next.

Calling is the intersection of purpose and identity. Discovering a Calling is discovering who you are now, who you are meant to become, what you should work toward and hope for. Sounds good, doesn't it? But how on earth does anyone get a solid set of answers to such questions?

Os argued that in the kingdom of God we have the option to either a) reject God and go our own way or b) accept God’s love and give our lives to him for his purposes. There is no third option “C” in which we accept God’s love and yet go our own way. Thus, everyone who claims Christ also has a call on his or her life. "Come, follow me," Jesus said.

But what does that mean for me today? What does it mean for me or you to be a Christian and accept God’s calling on our lives? How do I go from being just another person trying to live my life, pay my bills, and avoid loneliness to being someone who lives with purpose and identity before God? Does this all sound like fancy words from a whimsical religious world?

These are questions that have burned in my head for the last couple of years. And only in the last month of my life have I started to see some clear answers. Os’s talk added come clarity to a set of ideas that was already starting to coalesce around me. I will take up those in my next post. I hope to explain what has been swimming in my head this summer and what I am trying to figure out while I’m here at TFA.

That next post will be up soon. But until then, let me know what you think. Do you think Os is right? Especially I ask this of my peers: do you think that we recent college grads suffer from some of the "crazy you get with too much choice"? Do you think there's a real issue of identity confusion in your life or in the lives of your friends? I think I see it, but I'd like to know what you think.

Oh, and the song I wrote a week ago is now recorded and available at kevandem.com. My new friend Brad Bell here at the TFA engineered the recording, so it's a bit more polished than some of my other recordings. Thanks, Brad! Thanks also to Kevin and Emily Smith--two of my favorite people on earth. They have agreed to host the audio file. I hope you enjoy it. Feedback is always welcome.

7 Comments:

  • "What if I find in the quiet that all I am is the sum of my habits?"

    I think you're definitely right about the overabundance of choice. Instead of freeing us, it paralyzes. Makes me think of the psalm that says, "I run in the path of your commands for you have set my heart free." We need boundaries.

    By Blogger Caroline, at 12:30 PM, September 12, 2006  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Brad, at 12:34 PM, September 12, 2006  

  • Hey Wendell!

    I agree totally. Nathan and I have had several discussions along these lines. We were talking about grad school the other night, and just the fact that we have that option readily available is extraordinary when you look at human history. Look at internet dating. For most of history, you married whoever was available in your area. Now we shop not just around the city or state, but the world for a wife. The internet also gives us unprecedented choices of what information to accept as true or false.

    All this is great, but dangerous. Humans have been given dominion by God over the world, and we should excercise that. But Adam was created to exist not just under, but by God's authority. So certainly, when that authority is abandoned, our free choices become a liability. We open up the possibility for screwing it all up, which is not how we were intended to live.

    That is how I would challenge Nietzche's statement. By our finite nature, the power to self-create is limited and subject to failure. There is no such thing as absolute freedom.

    I know for myself and most of my freinds, we are paralized by too many choices and the possibility of failure. This is why we are constantly reminded in scripture not to worry about the future or put too much stock in our own plans.

    I might ramble on if I don't stop...

    By Blogger Brad, at 12:39 PM, September 12, 2006  

  • Thanks for the comments, friends. Darsey, I think you raise a great question. I want to think on it more. Expect some ruminations in subsequent posts.

    By Blogger Wendell, at 1:15 PM, September 14, 2006  

  • Okay, I've been thinking about this all day. And I wrote about 900 jumbled words before writing this shorter response.

    The short answer is this: Yes, people who do not know God can still enjoy the benefits of walking in the paths He designed us to thrive in. They can still know much of the joy, fulfillment, and sense of purpose that lies in helping others.

    What they miss is God. They miss the best thing we have in this life--intimacy with our Creator. They miss the affection of a Father that smiles and loves us when we collapse and dump our darkness and failure at his feet.

    The thing is, that answer may sound hollow. I think that's because many of us American Christians are so numb to God that we mostly miss the sweetness of a relationship with him too. And if this is the case, then the secular life of moralism really IS no different than ours. The only difference is what we pretend we believe.

    The conclusion of this, though, is not that Christianity has failed to transform us into something different. It is probably (at least in my case) more that we who call ourselves "Christians" have failed to become fully Christian.

    Dallas Willard would ask: Are we fasting? Are we spending time in solitude talking to the LORD about our lives? Are we meditating on Scripture and allowing it to inform our thoughts? Jesus did all these things, yet somehow we don't think we must? No wonder our relationships with him are not things that we cling to as beautiful and life-giving. Maybe we are only playing at following Christ, claiming his ideas but not giving him our lives.

    If that is the case, then practically, we are just like the unbeliever who adopts Christian-like morals and lives by them. We will have bursts of joy and fulfillment if we are doing acts of service. But we won't have the pervasive joy of knowing God.

    Another thing unbelievers miss besides God Himself is the assurance of purpose in what they do. When the international relief worker is in her 2nd year of AIDS orphan work in Namibia and she wonders if all her efforts are futile, what does she do? Is there a really good, knock-down argument to help her believe that, despite her doubts, if she is faithful, AIDS will be defeated? Isn't there a lot more evidence to the contrary?

    She misses the assurance of a God who has promised that He goes ahead of her to redeem the world. If her acts of service are costing her a lot, then she has to weigh whether the expenditure of her own life is worth the measure redemption she thinks she is creating. I don't know how she calculates that.

    I hope this doesn't sound like pie-in-the sky. If it does, shoot it down.

    Wendell

    By Blogger Wendell, at 7:51 PM, September 14, 2006  

  • Wendy,

    It is so great to hear your thoughts and what you are learning. Truly, I wish I was a blogger.

    Regarding choice:

    I remember about four years ago--when you were a freshman at Furman--when I was thoroughly struggling with that issue. Actually, I still am. The crazy thing is that whenever I make a choice there are so many more that follow.

    Sometimes I talk to friends about how wonderful being five was. I covet those days in many ways. There were very few choices: your parents and others made all of them for you. The biggest choice of the day was whether you want KoolAid or milk with your PBJ. However, all that I wanted to do was grow up and be big (at least I got big, not sure about growing up though).

    I really thought that going to law school was the CHOICE in my life and attending these three years of school would answer my dilemma. I was horribly wrong. There are so many different aspects to the law and nowaday you need a lawyer for everything. It seems as if I have just as many options at this point as I did before. So, I am currently planning on getting an LLM in taxation (as Cam Salle did): maybe that will narrow things down a little more.

    After a couple years of law school, I proposed to a wonderful and beautiful woman, thinking that would be the CHOICE, but there are so many more choices as a reult of that. I know that I no longer have to work on finding a wife, but I have to constantly be focused on making choices that serve her. Together we have to decide about children, work, family, budgets, vacations, in-laws, etc. I have not escaped having to choose.

    Maybe it is our society, maybe it is the way things are now as opposed to the past (mobility, communications, blogging, etc.), but we are bombarded with choices. I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown (no exageration) this past week because I was stressed by all of the different places one can go on a honeymoon.

    You wrote that calling is the intersection of purpose and identity. What is my purpose and Identity? I believe that as a follower of Christ we know what each of those answers are (See Romans 9:26; Westminster Shorter Catechism, § 1). I do not know, however, what those answers mean in everyday life.

    In working through all of these things, I would suggest that you listen to Grant's sermon from last Sunday. It was about fixing your eyes on Jesus, which reminds me of one of my favorite hymns (http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/u/turnyour.htm). In many ways, I tend to believe that there is no escape from the choice phenomenon until we reach heaven. I could be wrong though, and would enjoy hearing more of your perspective on this topic.

    Thank you for your thoughts and sharing them. John, Rusty and I are trying to plan a trip to see at some point--maybe when it gets a little colder.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM, September 15, 2006  

  • regarding wendy's post below:

    I have heard John Piper and R.C. Sproul address the differences b/w common grace (that which all men receive) and saving grace. They both explain things very well and are clergymen/writers. Researching this might help with what Darsey asked.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 PM, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home